The evening falls dream slowly over the neighbourhood like
a fleece blanket lofted by a mother over her feverish child.
We sit, inhaling clatter of far off street traffic
through banks of tall maples crowding the edges of the back yard.
You wait for me to say more:
I am blank, hoping for declaration of some other catastrophe
It is my turn to shrug, grasp at some hook in the sky,
some saving inspiration.
You stir the empty place on your plate with your fork’s tines.
Somebody a few yards over clears his throat.
A door opens, briefly spewing somebody’s private caramba!
A siren leaves the nearby firehall, tears down the street, fades.
I dig into my brain realizing that silence
is not the response I want to make:
it argues too much in your voice,
drowning all I could say.
Find a post
Favourite Posts Chosen by Viewers
- Welcome to wordcurrents (1506)
- Green (1343)
- in her defense (1334)
- Writing with a cat on my lap (1308)
- Don't Mumble (1240)
- Skin (1237)
- Splish-splash (1234)
- wait for it (1210)
- At a Window Looking Out (1196)
- Waiting for the woe (886)
- That Story (706)
- Getting to Know You (690)
- Doorways (512)
- Review: 7 Important Things by Nadia Ross and George Acheson (376)
- Review: Greenwich Meantime at Murphy’s Inn (364)
- . . . in the mi — (351)
- hesi— (339)
- Review: The Drawer Boy by Michael Healey (329)
- Old Wife’s Tale (327)
- Boston Legal — Ex-English Teacher Leaking Out . . . . (302)
Popular Posts in the past 10 days
Saving Your Favourites
If you click on the title of a post, you will be taken to the archive copy of the text, where there are many options:
"Print this post" -- creates a printable screen
"Add to Favourites" -- See below
"Related Posts" -- other posts that are in some way similar
"(Visited N times)" -- Started Jan 5, 2010
If you click "Add to Favourites", the software sets a cookie on your device. This cookie is quite harmless; however, it saves a list of your favourite posts on this site. Up to 99 of your favourites will appear on your computer only, in the list to the right, on the device that has the cookie. Note that favourites saved on one device will not be favourites on others, and that clearing your cookies will clear that particular device's list.
I am not sure about this, but the favourites list should work, even if you are not a subscriber. I know that it does work for subscribers.
Most popular posts since I installed this feature in 2010
- Technorati link here 69.6k views
- Review: the comedy of err... 55.4k views
- Welcome to wordcurrents 48.6k views
- wordcurrents Guest Book 47.6k views
- Riverwriter 33k views
- Review: Talking With... 30.5k views
- Review: Scorched by Wajdi... 30.2k views
- About riverwriter 27.9k views
- Contact riverwriter 26k views
- Review: Tempting Providen... 21.4k views